Today in European Tech: Etsy buys Depop for 1.6 billion dollars, Celonis raises 1 billion dollars to the valuation of decacorn, FlixBus catches 650 million dollars
Here is what happened today in European Tech.
– Celonis, Munich-based “runtime management” software manufacturer announced a $ 1 billion Monster Series D round, giving it a post-currency valuation north of $ 11 billion. The funding round, which was led by new funders Durable Capital Partners and T. Rowe Price Associates, follows a $ 290 million Series C funding round announced in November 2019.
– Seeking to reach a younger audience, e-commerce platform Etsy plans to acquire London-based Gen Z Fashion Market Depop for $ 1.62 billion. Depop will keep its existing offices and no staff changes are planned.
– FlixMobility, Munich-based mobility scaling, the group behind FlixBus and FlixTrain, has raised more than $ 650 million in a mix of equity and debt financing, giving the company a valuation of $ 3 billion.
– Take-Two Interactive announced the acquisition of a private company Serbian mobile game developer Nordeus up to $ 378 million. The initial price of $ 225 million is comprised of cash and $ 90 million of newly issued Take-Two common stock.
– Berlin-based micro-mobility company TIER got a $ 60 million loan from Goldman Sachs. Asset-backed financing is a first of its kind for Goldman Sachs and marks a new era for the micro-mobility industry.
– Israeli shared neighborhood company Venn announced today that he completed a $ 60 million Series B financing round led by Group 11, with the participation of Pitango, Hamilton Lane and Bridges Israel.
– The German start-up Cognigy, world leader in Omnichannel customer and employee service automation with its conversational AI platform Cognigy.AI has pocketed $ 44 million in Series B financing.
– Paris-based automated digital marketing solutions provider Artur’in got 42 million euros through PSG.
– Helsinki-based e-commerce platform Nosto acquired the content marketing start-up Stackla. This is Nosto’s first acquisition and offers a solid entry into the Australian and South East Asian markets.
– London white label platform for retail finance Divido raised $ 30 million in a Series B funding round led by HSBC and ING.
– Comunix, an Israeli social games startup and the company behind the game Pokerface, announced on Wednesday that he got $ 30 million in Series A funding, bringing the total raised by the company to $ 33 million to date.
– We also followed a large number of (others) European technology financing tours and M&A transactions, of which we offer you a practical list on Friday afternoon in our weekly newsletter (note: the complete list is reserved for paying customers). Also check out our European tech news section for ongoing coverage.
To read / to know
– The European Commission has announced a partnership with Bill Gates’ sustainable energy financing vehicle with the aim of unlocking new investments for clean technology and sustainable energy projects totaling up to $ 1 billion over five years (2022-2026).
– Sometimes, expansion in the United States is the smart thing to do: the transatlantic tale of Kaia Health.
– A innovation manifesto setting out eight areas on which the EU should focus in creating the single European innovation area project, puts technological sovereignty at the top of the priority list.
The best tweets of the day
When Alex, Bastian & Martin started @Celonis as students in 2011, process mining was an academic niche. Today, the company is the global leader in execution management and the most valued startup in New York and Germany. Congratulations to the team! 🎉 https://t.co/EDjKFIOoW9
– Harry Nelis (@hnelis) June 2, 2021
In less than 10 years, Depop has:
– gave 30 million users in 150 countries the opportunity to create, makeover and resell their fashion
– gave a whole generation their first entrepreneurial experience, with 90% of users – led the way in the sustainable development movement by championing pre-loved fashion
– James Wise (@jpwiseuk) June 2, 2021
Today marks the launch of @ 01_Founders & its bold mission to train over 100,000 diverse software engineers across the UK.
– Founders Forum (@Founders_Forum) June 2, 2021
With the #EUGreenDeal, Europe can become the continent of climate innovation.
In this way, European industry can reap the fruits of the green transition and create the jobs of tomorrow. pic.twitter.com/qRUITpzl8H
– Ursula von der Leyen (@vonderleyen) June 2, 2021
The job posting for the head of ARIA (the much publicized UK version of DARPA) is online. You should have ‘a lot of confidence
seemingly impossible challenges can in fact be overcome, even when it comes to transforming our
understanding the world ” https://t.co/YYNsVX3Ae7
– James Cook (@JamesLiamCook) June 2, 2021
Virtuous #Start cycles: focus on #CEE & #Turkey, @UiPath looking interesting # B2B #Software automation cos for the UiPath Automation Awards 2021, to enable the development of creative business ideas and foster the ability to scale cos and entrepreneurial businesses at an early stage. https://t.co/BTIf8OCGa1
– Earlybird VC (@EarlybirdVC) June 2, 2021
“We have integrated more banks in the past six months than Tink has managed in a year. Having less legacy technology to maintain means we can scale much faster. »Our holding company @nordigen @RolandsMesters sets new rules for an open bank https://t.co/HPQ9ep9EpP
– Inventure (@InventureVC) June 2, 2021
🛴 Electric scooters can be a lot of fun, but the regulatory patchwork across Europe makes the micromobility landscape difficult to navigate.
– Tech.eu (@tech_eu) June 2, 2021
Congratulation to @depop on today’s news that it will be acquired by Etsy! 🙌
“Depop is a shining example of how businesses can be successful by obsessively focusing on their community and how generational change creates new opportunities. ” @jpwiseukhttps://t.co/sgNiew98WJ pic.twitter.com/7VwWvABr20
– Capital Balderton (@balderton) June 2, 2021
We just received the latest updates from #eicPathfinder Open call!
📝 908 proposals
💶 € 168M budget
🌍 60 countries
– European Innovation Council (@EUeic) June 2, 2021
We are extremely proud of the arrival of The House of Quantum on the TU Delft campus. The House must be known as the smartest 12,000 “quantum square meters” in Europe – built around an ecosystem of businesses, investors and researchers. Read more: https://t.co/TWx9LeszCF pic.twitter.com/pEQI33eriq
– TU Delft Campus (@tudelftcampus) June 2, 2021
This is the first European corporate SPAC listing.
The market is still
– € SPAC 🇪🇺 (@eurospac) June 2, 2021
– Tech.eu (@tech_eu) June 2, 2021
🔥New addition to the @Ananda_Ventures wallet: @OroraTech provides global forest fire detection and monitoring services. The € 5.8 million Series A funding round is led by Findus Ventures and Ananda, with @apex_vc and Bayern Capital https://t.co/MyO86kVPbY
– Aline Vedder (@AlineVedder) June 2, 2021
The 😷 pandemic has dramatically increased pet ownership.
25% of owners have animal insurance ️ https://t.co/BbtGs6hFe4
– Marios Karatzias (@MariosKaratzias) June 2, 2021
Fresh from the press. Our brand new newsletter. https://t.co/za3aDVS2q4
– Dieter von Holtzbrinck Ventures (@DvHVentures) June 2, 2021
Tomorrow, we are hosting a question-and-answer session on our new program: Libra 1.0.
Participants will receive:
💪Assistance with applications and support for potential candidates
Information on what sets Libra apart from other programs
The context of the programhttps://t.co/z8d0yzLQcZ pic.twitter.com/Fchy0mtwg2
– TechNation (@TechNation) June 2, 2021
Congratulations to the F10 alumni #FQX! Zurich-based digital promissory note #fintech FQX Raises $ 4.7 Million in Seed Funding – https://t.co/RFhM88TkRL https://t.co/uDqjjVgLlr through @tech_eu@EarlybirdVC led the round with the participation of @sixgroup Fintech companies!#VC #funding
– F10 Global (@ F10_accelerator) June 2, 2021
Let us know what you think of this daily roundup and how we can improve it!
And follow us on Twitter of course.