PSG beat Barcelona with improved bid for Manchester City’s Bernardo Silva
The summer transfer window is here, and there’s a lot of gossip swirling about who’s going where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, whereabouts and, of course, deals!
TOP STORY: PSG have an inside track for Silva
Paris Saint-Germain are working on a deal to sign Manchester City midfielder Bernardo Silvaaccording The temperature.
Barcelona have also been heavily linked with the Portugal international, who wants to leave the Etihad.
However, the Parisians aren’t working under the same financial problems Barcelona are currently facing and they’re confident Silva will move to France if a fee can be agreed with City.
It is added that PSG are ready to pay up to €70m for the 28-year-old, whose contract with City runs until 2025.
Offering Silva with improved personal terms apparently wouldn’t be a problem for PSG, which can’t be said for Barcelona.
The Catalans based a lot of their hopes of signing Silva on the player’s preference to join them. But the club still need to create more salary space if they want to sign more players – Jules Kounde remains unrecorded while their other four summer additions (Robert Lewandowski, Raphinha, Andreas Christensen, Frank Kessie) were recorded the day before last Saturday’s season opener.
As for PSG, the Ligue 1 champions so far definitely signed Vitinha, Renato Sanches, Nordi Mukiele and Nuno Mendes this summer, while bringing Hugo Ekitike lent by Reims.
– ESPN+ guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (US)
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (US only)
– You don’t have ESPN? Access immediately
11:53 BST: Former Chelsea and Arsenal midfielder Willian is back in London and training with Fulham, reports the Guardian.
Willian is a free agent after terminating his contract with Corinthians youth club earlier this month, citing threats and abuse he and his family have received.
The 34-year-old hasn’t had any talks with Fulham and, for now, he’s just training with the newly-promoted Premier League side while he searches for a new club.
– Vickery: Willian’s exit from Corinthians should be a lesson for Brazilian football
11.16 BST: Arsenal striker Nicolas Pepe is a target for French club Nice, the Daily Mail reports.
Pepe, 27, is Arsenal’s record signing but struggled to meet the £72m fee the Gunners paid Lille for him in 2019.
The Ivory Coast international started just five Premier League appearances last season and is yet to make an appearance this season.
Nice want to bring in Pepe on loan, while the Mail also report that the Ligue 1 outfit are trying to sign Blackburn Rovers striker Ben Brereton Diaz.
10:32 BST: Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Tanguy Ndombele is set to join Napoli on a season-long loan, sky sports reports.
Ndombele, 25, is expected to undergo a medical in Italy on Thursday to complete his transfer.
Napoli will have the option to make Ndombele’s transfer permanent next summer for 32.5 million euros. He spent the second half of last season on loan at Lyon and is under contract with Spurs until June 2025.
Napoli were keen to strengthen their midfield line with Fabian Ruiz set to join Paris Saint-Germain later this month.
09:49 BST: Villarreal manager Unai Emery unimpressed with Barcelona’s reported interest in his defender John Foyth.
The Yellow Submarine has no interest in losing Foyth, who spent last season on loan at Tottenham from Villarreal. The Argentina international has been linked with Barcelona and is under contract with Villarreal until June 2026. Villarreal would only let Foyth leave this summer if his €42m release clause is met.
“I see Foyth very happy here and grateful,” Emery said. “That reassures me. We already know the opinion of the club and the player. As for what Barcelona think, we don’t know.”
Emery believes there could be some unwanted departures before the transfer window closes.
“That the transfer window closes on August 31 doesn’t make much sense,” he said. “We are playing and the market should be closed.
“What would affect us is if unexpectedly a release clause is met or a player thinks he can leave for an offer he is interested in.”
09.07 BST: Girona close in on signing midfielder Reinier on a one-year loan from Real Madrid, Mundo Deportivo reports
Reinier, 20, returned to Madrid this summer after spending two seasons on loan at Borussia Dortmund, where he had limited playing time.
Madrid signed Reinier for €35m from Flamengo in January 2020 but he is yet to make a senior appearance for Los Blancos.
Reinier has been linked with Spanish sides Valladolid, Almeria and Serie A Turin. However, Girona, back in La Liga after a three-year absence, appear to have won the race to sign the Brazilian.
Reinier has agreed to join Girona but is waiting for the green light from Real Madrid to complete the deal. No option for a permanent move will be included in the agreement.
08:23 BST: Wolverhampton Wanderers announced last night that they have signed the midfielder Matheus Nunes from Sporting CP in a record deal with the club.
Wolves have beaten Premier League rivals West Ham to the Portugal international for a fee that Registration the reports will be for an initial amount of 45 million euros up to 50 million euros.
Nunes, 23, scored four goals and set up five more in 50 appearances for Sporting last season.
𝐿𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡𝑠, 𝑐𝑎𝑚𝑒𝑟𝑎, 𝒂𝒄𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏!
— Wolves (@Wolves) August 17, 2022
08:00 BST: Manchester United have inquired about a loan move for Chelsea and the United striker Christian Pulisicsources told ESPN’s James Olley.
United are scrambling for reinforcements after making their worst start to the Premier League season and wavering in their pursuit of several players, including Adrien Rabiot and Frenkie de Jong. Pulisic became a possible target after United contacted Chelsea to discuss whether they would be willing to allow the USMNT international to leave Stamford Bridge.
Pulisic, 23, has two years left on his contract. According to sources, he became frustrated with his limited playing time. He has come on as a substitute in both Chelsea games so far this season, with appearances totaling 30 minutes. During an injury campaign last season, Pulisic started just 13 Premier League games.
It is unclear whether Chelsea would allow the Pulisic to join a domestic rival, with Newcastle United also believed to be monitoring the situation, although sources have indicated they are more likely to be open to a loan move rather than a permanent transfer. .
Sources also suggest Juventus have shown interest, while Atletico Madrid have reportedly been linked with a move by Pulisic, who wants more regular football ahead of the World Cup.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Danny Lewis)
– The Independent reports that Sporting CP are offering to take Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United on a free transfer. It’s unclear if he would accept a return to Lisbon as he wants to stay in the Champions League – but be at a level where he could win it.
– Manchester United are looking to bring in Lazio Sergej Milinkovic-Savic and even spoke with the Serbian international’s agent, although Foot Mercato Reports that no offer has yet been made. Sources have told ESPN United have cooled their interest in Juventus Adrien Rabiot and also targeted the Real Madrid midfielder Casemiro.
– Sky Sports Germany said the Liverpool midfielder Naby Keita is unhappy with his role at Anfield and could leave. He has a year left on his contract but could look to leave this summer in search of more playing time, although there are currently no named clubs eyeing the former RB Leipzig man.
– Napoli are closing in on finalizing a €5m loan deal for the Sassuolo striker Giacomo Raspadoriwith the obligation to perpetuate it for 25 M€ plus 5 M€ of supplements, reports Sky Sports Italy. The composition of the add-ons has not yet been decided but the objective is that everything be formalized on Thursday before a medical visit on Friday.
– Marseille opened the door to Arkadiusz Milik potentially leaving the club this summer, as reported The Team. There have already been some contacts made by clubs hoping to sign the Polish striker.